WHEN it comes to choosing the perfect place to live, there is one phrase which is constantly repeated: location, location, location.
It seems there is nothing more important about where you call home than where it is on the map - what’s there and what surrounds it.
And that’s certainly what makes Somerton, in heart of the English county of Somerset, a place where you might want to return to at the end of every busy day. There are many reasons why Somerton is the ideal place for you and your family to live – and here are just 10…
1. Somerton has a thriving arts scene: The old town hall is now a popular gallery with work and crafts by local artists; there are regular music events held in the town and, not least, Somerton is famous for its summer festival – a week long annual fiesta of music, drama, comedy, quizzes and more.
2. It lays claim to some of the best countryside in England. Somerton is close to the Mendip Hills, Cranborne Chase and the Quantock Hills – all outstanding areas of natural beauty. The Quantock Hills consist of heathland, oak woodlands, ancient parklands and agricultural land, and lays claims to be being England's first Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, designated in 1956.
3. Somerton is steeped in fascinating history and possesses a wealth of historic buildings which have survived to this day – like Lytes Cary Manor, a medieval manor house owned first by the Lytes family and, from 1907, the Jenners who rescued it from decay and the 17th Century Hext Almshouses which date back to 1626. An ancient Saxon town, Somerton was in the possession of Saxon kings until well after the middle ages – and is said to have given its name to the county - and has signs of Roman inhabitation going back to AD48.
4. It’s close to Bristol with all that a major city has to offer and Bath, a spa town famous for its natural hot springs and 18th-century Georgian architecture.
5. Somerton is a walker and cyclist’s dream with maps – CycleCity Guides and others – to direct you to, and around, all its best bits!
6. Somerton is home to some great places to visit and things to do from the stunning Midney Gardens and St Michael’s Church, a Grade 1 Listed Building which dates from the 13th Century with a rare octagonal tower and wonderful carved ceiling; to Glenda Spooner Farm, World Horse Welfare's Rescue & Re-homing Centre and the Clue HQ Escape Room.
7. Somerton Sports Club Recreation Ground has tennis courts, rugby and football pitches and a bowling green. There is a multi-use games area with two tennis courts/basketball courts which are all weather and floodlit and inside there is a Snooker Club with four full size tables and a skittle alley. There’s also a play area for children with benches and picnic tables close by and, next to this, is a skate park.
8. It’s home to lots of great places to eat and drink, from rustic pubs and coaching houses, to a variety of restaurants around its popular market square; quaint coffee shops and takeaways.
9. It’s a fisherman’s paradise! Viaduct fishery in Somerton is a nationally renowned place to go fishing with six well-stocked lakes nestle in the beautiful Cary Valley.
10. The availability of stylish, easy-to-manage homes such as those being built by Elan Homes at Pippard’s Court, an executive development featuring seven luxury townhouses of Pester’s Lane with prices starting from £385,000.
To find out more about Pippard’s Court, visit the show home from Saturday to Tuesday, 10am to 5pm. Alternatively call 01458 887302 or visit our Pippard's Court development.
Mucklestone Road, Loggerheads, Staffordshire TF9 4DX
4/5 & 5 bedroom homes
Culcheth Green, 365 Warrington Road, Warrington, Cheshire WA3 5JQ
Derwent Avenue, Chorlton, Manchester, Greater Manchester M21 7QP
Wilmslow Road, Handforth, Cheshire East SK9 3JX
2, 3, 4 & 5 bedroom homes
Kinnerton Lane, Higher Kinnerton, Flintshire CH4 9BE
Boothroyden Road, Middleton, Manchester, Rochdale M24 4RY
Elmswood Road, Liverpool, Merseyside L18 8DQ
Mark Lane, East Markham, Newark, Nottinghamshire NG22 0RA
Off Pesters Lane, Somerton, Somerset TA11 7AA
St Thomas Priory, Baswich
The Priory, Stafford, Staffordshire ST18 0ZH
Exclusive Homes In Liverpool
Lenton Avenue, Formby, Liverpool, Merseyside L37 1XY
2, 3 & 4 bedroom homes
Station Road, South Molton, Devon EX36 3DN